Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Solving issues

Every race you learn that extra bit of info, and it usually takes a few weeks for it to really set in and work out why. My bot bot issue I think came from my road bike which I ride 70% of the time or not really spending enough time on my MTB saddle. I guess what I have come to conclude is that road bike and mountain bike saddles are different and come in contact with different area's. So after a little road ride the other day by bot that had contact with the seat was not the area that was sore. Being a narrower seat and different shape to MTB saddles meant that I was spending most of my riding time where my point of contact would be different to a race condition. OK I have done lots of 24 hour racing but I brought this bike early this year and the Worlds course was very rough so I really did not expect this to happen.

So time to put a MTB saddle on the roadie, and hopefully eventually buy so new saddles so that they are all the same. Not only that I plan to buy new knicks for every race one's that I know are good and that I train in (Thanks Karen for this tip). Plus get some better cream that has been recommended by someone who has had issues in the past (Thanks Mr P identity discolsed).

Everything else was going perfect, I did have some small cramps which I think I had a little dehydration from the 36 degrees but they were only little and came good quickly.

Anyway I have updated my race report with some cool pic, for the kids I did not add one of my bot, and no for those of you that asked I did not take one either. Here is the link:

http://crankin-kwells.blogspot.com/2009/07/update-on.html

4 comments:

  1. How about putting a road saddle on your mtb? Or is that like crossing the streams ;)
    Also you don't want to be using brand new shorts for an important event...thats just asking for trouble.
    For creme's try this http://www.everestsports.com.au/qoleum/prod_det.php?recordID=453 very good, waterproof, no rubbing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nah,can't put a roadie saddle on there, too light and will most likely break they come with a sticker saying not for off road use don't they ;).
    New knicks should have stiffer padding, but I will only use the same ones as I train in, just fresh new versions.
    That cream looks the goods I'll have to buy 2 tubs one for the face, one for the bot, it is good for both but I won't be using the same tub ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or you could harden up and just use lidocane (plenty of RAAM riders do) ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AFAIK all the fizik saddles can be used off-road.
    As far as shorts go, spoil your a$$ try these http://www.assos.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5024&products_id=5540

    ReplyDelete