Friday, October 16, 2009

Scott 24 hour 2009

What a race, it was a strange one for sure. I had a lot of fun at this race, but I think it was due to my team, campsite friends, and most of the other riders out there.


This year’s race saw the return of a single loop track which took in some nice but technical tracks, with a change in the course throughout the night. I liked it, but there seemed to be too many riders, and not enough overtaking room to get the full experience.

I put my hand up to head out first, and I knew it would be, go out hard or have a wait with the congestion. So I went with the go hard option, and as the gun went people went into chaos pushing here and there body’s dropping to the ground everywhere I went into survival mode rather than run as hard as I could. But I made to my bike safely and got going up the fire road. I hit the single track with a little wait for a few minutes and then I was on my way on the climb in a big line and just waiting to make the most of fire roads to pass. This was pretty much the rest of the lap, we were holding a pretty good speed for the most of it so it was still good fun.

The fun continued throughout the next 2 laps then it was time to have an extra break. Through the night we decided to do spit shifts and while Karen and I had a nice little rest, Grant and John would put in a few. I don’t think I really got any sleep but it was a good rest, and before I knew it I had to get ready again.


This was my second night lap but the other one had some daylight so it was nice to do it under lights. I got past the downhill section and looked into a gully and there was a guy with blood everywhere, what the….Anyway he had a few people with him, so I told them to take a seat while I ride on to the check point to get help. I thought it was closer but I finally found it and past the details on and chatted to those awesome vollies for a bit. I got back into it passing riders I had passed before, and it was great to hear one go, “good onya for stopping mate have a good one”. I always like friendly riders like that. But on I went and finished it off.

Next lap was back to the day lap which I preferred, I took it easy had a chat to Kendra as I passed her on the climb, and made my way down the barrel. I did the figures during this lap thinking that there is most likely 1 more for me to do to make it 6 and 21 for the team.

I love the last lap, I went out for a good one and it was brilliant. I have fun pushing fairly hard and also at one stage riding in a group of 3 just chatting and enjoying company of 2 other rider who were strangers. It was a great way to finish it off.

So thanks to all who kept me company throughout it all as it was just as good social experience as it was a riding one. Plus it was great to have a fun team where all did there best they could do.

Well done to Kendra, who pulled off some great laps over the challenging course. It was good to see her giving it a good go, and coming back with a smile.

How good is Hiran at Radical lights he setup Kendra’s team the Mumnuts, fitted them out with lights for the race. They even got stickers with there names on them. Check it out. The lights did a great job and were the brightest I’ve seen.
http://www.radical-lights.com/



 
More pictures to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment