Monday, March 21, 2011

3 days of solid efforts

2 days of racing and 1 day charity ride in the middle.


OK maybe a little late, but the Canberra weekend now over a week ago was awesome riding here is a little wrap up.
Sunday saw me at my first TT, a 19k effort. I rode out to lookout hill and coming through Tharwa I started to see the riders warming up, first 2 I saw were on the full TT kit, including bikes, one piece suits, tear drops the works. So I rock up pretty standard, repair kits still on board ready for a bit of fun. Now I find out that is is an age handicap, being under 35 (just) saw me with about a 10min handicap on the oldest other rider (which I did not know at the time). So all was good, starting 30sec apart I went chasing after anyone I could. I actually enjoyed it, and was happy really happy with my effort and time. So results......2nd last, pretty funny really I had so much going against me I did not have a chance to make the 42+km/h average needed. But without the handicap I made the top ten, and not too far off.

Monday I went to the Amy's ride. I really like this event and saw alot of riders out to enjoy themselves. I opted for the 100k from Old Parliament house, through coppins crossing, 2 Uriarra, Cottor, Stromlo loops and back to the start. I meet up with Tommo at the start, had a good chat and we rolled away in the 2nd bunch. Well until Tommo could see the first bunch, then he decided to make the jump and dragged most of us across. The hill out of Uriarra split up the group and saw me ride with the 2nd group of 6, which worked out perfect a great pace, and a good group of blokes that worked well together. It was just over 3 hours till I got back and into the BBQ.

Tuesday night saw the usual crits, feeling a little tired I had no idea how I would go. The pace was a little on and off with some riders making short efforts waiting for others to bite and then slowing not wanting to work on the front. After a few more of there efforts I thought I would continue and kept on the pace on and see if they would bite, no one did. So I went out alone with about 3.5 laps remaining, putting in the efforts and trying to sustain or build the break, knowing my chances were not too high. Slowly my efforts took it's toll and in the final sprint to the line I was caught and finished up 2nd.

So some solid efforts in there for sure, and feeling a little smashed. I think it is time to step it up a grade in crits. I am always looking for moves and wanting some action in the middle of the crits, so if I'm looking for more action it is time to move up.

No comments:

Post a Comment