Monday, April 13, 2009

24 hour Solo Nationals 2009


Thursday came Jase and I had sorted a great position, for our support we checked out the course and I liked it.
Saturday came had some early nerves but I felt ready. Started OK I did not have quite the enthusiasm that I usually start with but that is OK, early days. 3:30 PM came, and begun to get acing joints. From 3:30pm to 6:30pm I drank 6 bottles of fluids an Up & Go, and a Red Bull. Something was not right, I was running out of fluids on the bike 6 k’s into the lap.
I was hurting and it was not from riding, but I wanted to keep trying so I pushed on. It was not long and the weather came in and it was raining. Lights were on, but my body was switching itself off but I kept at it. It was very hard I knew I was fighting something that was not going away, and every lap was an effort. It was close to 12pm and I decided enough was enough and pulled the pin. It was a hard choice but one I needed to make. I did not want to compromise my lead up to the Worlds, and I was not prepared to put myself in a big hole for the Nats. So after 17 laps of slogging around Majura with rain and lots of mud, that was it.
Monday morning came and I woke up with joint soreness all over and fever. So I am heading to the Doctors to work out how to get well again.
Kendra did a fantastic effort and really kept me going out there. Even if I did surprise her with those extra transitions, she always had bottles and food ready. Adam and Neil did really well with my bikes that never missed a beat. Kyle was always there when needed to offer help and anything she could, plus the fruitcake was awesome. Brett, who is always keen to make sure everything is OK and help out when he can. Plus everyone else who came out to watch, or asked how I was. It is always great to have people around wanting the best from you.
Well done to all that made it through. It was tough out there in the rain and mud. Jason did really well 1st in his age group and 5th overall. Clayton pushed well to finish 3rd in his category, well earned.
I feel I did learn a lot for this race, and funny enough when the weather came in I actually did not mind it, I liked the rain. I learnt a lot by riding in the mud and slippery conditions that we very rarely have here. So hopefully these things will help me with things to expect in Canada.
So, with some rest I will be back.

1 comment:

  1. Bad luck dude - was watching the regular updates and saw you stopped (along with Fenz) - figured something musta gone wrong. Hopefully its just a nutrition thing and you'll be back into it in no time!

    ReplyDelete