Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Hitting it hard, a great way to start.

On a new program, and why not start off with an FTP (functional threshold power) test . With a broken spoke on my powertap wheel I decided the indoor trainer was the way to hurt, with my ibike set on trainer mode I was ready to go. Usually it is good to do similar tests and keep them consistent but being eager and not wanting to wait for my rear wheel and not 100% trusting the cal with the ibike in real life situations, the trainer it is. I have just setup my room with a ceiling fan and hopefully the morning air coming through the window will be enough to keep me cool. Over winter this might make a good reference each test will be super consistent and I can see how effective my program has been up to Worlds and monitor any improvements.

I must admit usually I’m not a fan of the trainer especially for long sessions but know the benefits and I did find it really hard to keep going after 10min when my legs seemed to drop 30 watts. But I managed to push through and bring my legs to a shaking jelly mess by the end. I think that makes the hardest I have ever pushed for a 20min session, with an average HR of 173, that has crept up a beat since the last test.

Although it was not my best output, some could argue that being indoors you seem to drop power (mainly me) ;), I am somehow really happy with the effort. This will give me a new baseline for future testing. Now the hard part, training and trying to beat the effort…what comes next after shaking legs?? I hope it is not passing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment