Sunday, May 27, 2012

Trek Madone 5.9

It's been a while since I've felt comfortable on a roadie and the last few weeks I have been enjoying every moment on this bike. The 5.9 is made up with a full Ultegra group including wheelset and Ui2. Since purchasing I have swapped out the cranks to my quark power meter, and other than that it has and will stay pretty standard other than the Garmin 800. It is such a nice bike I really have no reason to swap anything.
 
As soon as I threw a leg over Marilyn Madone (OK the name did not come from me it was Kendra, but it does fit ;)) it felt right and I could not get the grin off my face. The first ride was in -5 and below temps out at Tidbinbilla and I did not even think about how cold it was, I just enjoyed the ride and it felt soooo right. It is hard sometimes weighting up difference's in bikes trying to make the right choice, but for me this was a long term one and I'm hoping to have this bike for a long time so a few extra $$$ for exactly what I was after, is a decision I was happy to step up to. The frame was stiff, any power went straight to the wheel, but so smooth on the big chipped tar, it is hard to believe how far the technology has come, I could not be convinced that anything else could ride any better.
 
On the Rivet, were fantastic in helping with the paperwork etc for compensation from my accident, they really went out of the way to make life that bit easier, and did a few extras that I would not have expected from any shop. There are so many things that just can't be brought, and it is really where the LBS steps it up. Scott also set me up with a bike fit, this has been a good move, there was not much wrong with my old fit but I was keen to slide the cleats more forward than mid foot. This raised the saddle a touch, slight adjustments here and there and things were in line and feeling right. So thanks to On the Rivet for making life back on the bike as quick and easy as possible.
 
So stand out features of the standard 5.9, and things I'd be always looking for in a good roadie:
The frame just begs to be ridden fast, it looks fast and is finished to perfection. I love the colour and where it is white does not really get dirty (MTB'ers dream ;)).
Ui2 just so quick, smooth, effortless, maintenance free and reliable.
Carbon bars, are great on a roadie especially in the drops ofering great dampening.
 A great all round package.

No comments:

Post a Comment