Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Madone - On the Rivet


On the Rivet have a few selected demo models for riders to try out in the real world. It is a great way to confirm any doubts when buying a bike, and for me it has been a hard choice, and one I want to get right. With my road racing increasing over the past year or so I want to make a good choice. So without a roadie I have been getting my fix with a Trek Madone 5.2.This is similar in spec to my old Giant TCR Alliance, so the Ultegra components was very familiar and I felt right at home. The frame was a 54cm, a touch small for me but it gave me a really good idea on the frame characteristics.

The look is great, some very nice details, and Trek have finished it off nicely. The very wide BB, unique tube shapes, internal cables, all finished off to perfection and hard to pick any faults. The 5.2 is very stealth, it was nice but personally not quite what I want but it is a personal thing. The 5.5, 5.9 definitely appeal more to me in the paint department.

The frame really is where it all matters, and while this is a 5 series and not the top of the line 6, it still had most the design qualities of the 6 and comes in at a lower price. Having being so adapted to the Giant I could feel instantly the differences in the frame. The bike was stiffer yet less harsh, I found as soon as I put any effort in I was rewarded then and there with the bike jumping forward, but also smoother to ride. It felt like a racier bike yet more comfortable. Designs change over 3 years and the Alliance was partly alloy, but the Trek did feel like it had the perfect balance.

I decided a ride up Honeysuckle would be the best choice where I can do my timed run and compare. It was great I never felt sluggish and definitely felt lighter, and easier to punch over the steep rise. My time was off my best and I must admit I am in no shape at the moment to get close to it, but I was not far off, the bike without a doubt improved the climb. The decent was quick...too quick, I felt uncomfortable and it was not the bike slowing me down it was me. The bike handled speed so well I just did not feel right going so quick into the corners I had to brake. There was no twitching, flexing, it was smooth and stiff. I was the weak link, I've never felt that descending on a road bike before.

Overall I really like the bike, it has everything I want plus more. So the decision has been made, I know what I want, it is just so hard to choose the model. Each model has a great spec and all look fantastic it is hard to make that choice. Hopefully the next month I can move forward and get back to the road efforts.

Thanks On the Rivet for the test ride, you have eased the itch temporarily :).

Seems I need to clean my phone camera lens :)

No comments:

Post a Comment