Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Highland Fling

What a fun weekend, some disappointments but overall an enjoyable weekend.

Saturday was spent getting organized and working it all out. My first fling and making sure I knew exactly what was happening to ensure I knew what was happening in transitions etc.

I originally set out to complete the 100 mile, it started off at a fast pace, I put some in but went back to being conservative at I knew it was a long one. We were still keeping a good pace, till the open paddocks riding up a hill I had no idea what was happening. Riders were riding at me charging down the hill. Till a few guys said wrong way head back so we did into the congestion, and some walking.


Back on it, and continue on some fire road, I find Arran a fellow FTP rider and we switch positions back and forth a few times, as we head for the transition area. Looked at my watch as I cross knowing I had 5 minutes and make my way through. Kendra was waiting for me swapped packs, new bottle, a lube and I was right to go again. I head out for the next 54k’s and it was not long before Arran and I were together again. We worked our way down through some fast fire road then single track etc etc…. till I go to change gear and heard a snap and no change. Bugger, my rear cable snapped and it was straight to the small one. I pushed it hard up and over a few hills, but I knew it would be too big a gear for me. So with some work I got the cable hooked back up with some easier gears but still limited.

So I was trying to get back on it as I worked my way through single track, but I knew it was going to be hard. I found the climbs hard and walked a bit due to the gears, but found my average speed was dropping to a point where I knew I would struggle to make the cut off for the second loop. I pushed on to the open fire road and tried to make up for lost time, but coming in I knew I would not stand much chance of making it. So I decided to head back for the 110k finish. Kendra was there waiting and tried to talk me into keeping on going but realistically I had dropped 2+km/h in average speed due to gearing and I had to maintain my current average for another 54k’s. So it was time to enjoy the ride back, there were a few 100milers taking there time and cutting the distance short so I was not alone. Found it pretty nice just taking my time making my way through the 50k’ers. Headed back in to lots of cheers with people thinking I was the first 100miler back which I was but just frustrated I had not done the distance, and confirm with Huw, he was expecting Denis.

So my first fling done, there is always a hollow feeling when you have not completed what you set out for. But realistically with some issues I was having in the week leading in (and still there) it might have been the better option leading into the Kona. I hope I’m sorted by then, I need and due for a good one ;).

Overall it was a great race and there was a good atmosphere to it especially around town. Not sure if I’ll be back next year though, with the Worlds in October. It’s always nice to have a break after a big one.

Thanks Kendra and Neil for being at the transition zone, it made things allot easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment