Saturday, November 19, 2011

Flinging it.

My previous fling was back in 2009, suffering mechanicals and instead of doing the long 160k leg I opted to cut to the shorter 110k. This year I went straight to the 110k, I knew it was going to be a big toll and the century was enough. This race finished me off for a build to the garmin 24 hour, and I really did not know how the legs or body would hold on. I have tried to have a pretty rapid build over the last 1-2 months after being forced to ease back on training early on.


The race started at great pace, I was keen to do a solid 1st stage. I was happy things were looking good and comfortable. Kylie and Robyn filled by hydropak super quick (love ya work!) and I was out for the 2nd stage. I was really enjoying the singletrack sections with some cool drifting (something I have never been comfortable to do on a 29er before) and it was all going well. The ups and downs were going great time was passing quickly and then, 50k in and time to jump the little crossing and bang. My semi mended thumb into the bars and it hurt! I carried on my thumb did not like shifting now and all of a sudden with some climbing to do my mojo was gone. I was a little lost but pushed on, tried a pick me up gel, rolled up the KOM and kept moving. I was pretty happy to get to the open fireroad and tried to push on hard to Wingello but my mojo did not return when a car overtook me and sat about 20m in front, so I rode in a dirty dust cloud for a few k's grrrrrr.

I was keen for stage 3 thinking how good is the fire road finish going to be this is going to be super quick! It started well moving along quick, I passed Kendra and Erica and had a little chat. Then hit the singletrack wow this slowed me up, over brokeback, and into more singletrack thinking that these half flingers are starting to struggle with the amount of full flingers coming through....I hope Kendra is all good. I came across a guy with what looked like a broken collarbone, it was a bit of a war zone. I battled through just wanting to finish. It was not long before I was over the line and keen to get a coke and food.

Mixed emotions this year, I had some tough times but also a load of fun. So proud of Kendra making it through, that 2nd half was tough on her, and very glad she had a fantastic friend to do it with.

Now the build is over looking forward to recovery time :).

Well done to those that had a great race, it is good to see you reach the goal/results you were after. Definately the training is paying off, keep up the good work!

No comments:

Post a Comment