Thursday, November 3, 2011

October: Summing it up

Allot has been happening and I think it is about time for a quick summary.

The Scott: My team of Hagen Ganahl, Andrew Murrell, Grantley Butterfield, and myself was a good solid team that had fun. We had 2 new riders to the Scott so we gave them the fun of hitting up the first 2 laps. Each of us mixed it up acorss both red and blue, and although I tried I just could not match Grantley's times. Andy did well on the first lap keeping out of trouble, then keeping timing consistent and always seemed to be up for a bluey where everyone else declined. Hagen surprised me with his 8 laps and over 7 hours of riding, definately pulled his weight and proved although he is a roadie he can mix it up on the MTB. I just had little personal goals for this race and meet most, I think the not falling off on the blue lap was a major fail. Great to have a fun social one, where I did not have to think about too much, sometimes it is good to just go relax and be apart of it without any pressure or performance required. So thanks KAHG  it was a teams race that my mind needed. One big highlight of the weekend was listening to D-Mac on the mic, great to hear he got out to be apart of the fun. But CORC did a fantastic job bringing it back to a really enjoyable race, great track, and a good spread of riders.

A few weeks ago we went to a little retreat north of Sydney and it was a great little get away for a few days. We went to Ku-ring-ai bike park and it was a load of fun. The track's has really 4 aspects which I will go through. The mini downhill single track this was a tricky little course with tight corners with loose over hardpack and very easy to slid out. Loads of humps and some berms. Fire roads, these lead into the national park we did not really ride them but looked pretty challenging. Mini north shore, this is where I came unstuck and broke my thumb, I was lucky it was not a collarbone, but these structure's were good if your into it. I just wish they were not so temping to try and that they had a softer landing around the edges. The middle section of craters, this was really cool and kept me busy for an hour. It was a mini pump track with so many lines to roll around pumping with no pedaling very cool. Check out some of Kath's pic's: Kath Bicknell I did take some of my own which I should upload.

The fun has been continuing with road crits, it has been really challenging keeping on the rivet without digging too deep, just in case an attack comes. This week was tough backing up from the 205 Fitz's and cross winds. But it worked in my favour and pullled in a 2nd place, I love it when it does not come down to a true sprint ;).

Fitz's epic, I really like this ride it is a great fundraiser, and a fun event. Some people race it, some push themselves to make the longer distances, some do it because they love hills. The distance you select gives a great selection of climbs, the longer the distance the harder the climbs you should expect. I went with the 205k which took me just over 8 hours ride time. The weather was perfect and a huge turnout for the 250/205 cat's. By the end I needed a compact crank as the 3500m or something caught up with me, but managed without it. I was glad I skipped the 250, I did not want to dig that big hole ;).
Training has been coming along well, starting to look forward to the Garmin 24. It will be a real unknown race as they are building the track at the moment and I have no idea what to expect or how much climbing. But I should be ready for almost anything, I just hope I don't have to ride the hardtail ;).

Other than that the Highland Fling 100k is coming up quick, and I hope my thumb will be up for some shifting. It has been a good thing I have been able to ride the roadie, looking forward to getting back on the mountain bike.

Bring on an exciting November!!

No comments:

Post a Comment