Friday, December 12, 2008

Data Geek

Well after a few weeks of calibrating using and generally playing with my new ibike ipro I thought it was good enough to let you know what it is like.

The ibike ipro is basically a bike computer that logs all your data. But it also calculates your power output. This is done by working out all the resistive forces and working backwards to work out the power requirement to overcome those forces and ride at that given speed. My ibike logs gradients, elevation, wind speed, speed, cadence, heart rate, power, distance and time have I missed anything? ;)
To begin with I had quite a few delays in getting it due to the new gen 3 model coming out, only for it to arrive with no USB connector. But now that I have everything and it is finally calibrated accurately (I think) it is a great tool. Calibrations were a little hit and miss to begin with, I was trying to do it in windy conditions, and I could not download anything to the computer and was a bit of a headache. But now I have it worked it out, pick a calm day do lots of repetitive coast downs, pick one that looks about average (after you downloaded them to the computer), load in the values and away you go. Generally I think it is pretty accurate, but it is hard to tell when you have nothing to compare it with.
It is funny though, I am no geek, I usually leave my mobile phone at home, hardly use it let alone all the features. But I must admit this is an item that I use all its features. I like the data and it is great to see how hard I worked or where I just had nothing and see the reasons why.
I am using WKO+ software, and I am amazed with the amount of graphs, and details this program automatically comes up with to analyse the data. It keeps a record of all the rides for future reference. All my data can be sent off to my coach so he knows exactly where I am at.
This is no doubt a great training tool that I can use almost every day. I did think it was a bit of a toy to begin with, but so far it has proved to be a valuable training tool.
Well my big block puts out over 1300watts (As I say with a big grunt).

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing how well you like WKO+. I hope it helps you reach your personal goals. Look for many more great features to come from us in 2009.
    Dirk Friel
    TrainingPeaks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dirk, great to see your looking out on other blogs like mine. BTW I just checked out your's and Joe's Blog. I like them, very good and lots of infomation, I had to add them to my links.

    ReplyDelete