Saturday, December 20, 2008

The bakers bunch (on the dark side)

After some great riding during the week, trying to work to my program, Jase asked me to join him on a roadie bunch ride. This was no ordinary bunch ride, even though it is a pretty flat ride, it was a bunch ride that did scare me a little. It was known to be a very fast lap around Canberra, and to make it the whole way you have to be a really, really good rider.
We left Lanyon early to get into Phillip at 6:30am to set off with the big boys. The group set off at a cracking pace, heading up Adelaide Ave at 55kph was great fun. Once we hit Northbourne we ran into a little trouble with the red lights and Jase's chain coming off we were well off the back with no chance of getting back on. So we kept at it, and tacked onto a few other riders that had been dropped to make a nice little group of 4-5.
We continued out through Dunlop, Ngunnawal, Gungahlin, all these places I had never ridden before. With this in mind I could not be dropped or I'd be lost. I kept at it to Watson, when Jase and I decided to head back onto Northbourne. We tryed our best not to let the pace drop, on our way back down Northbourne, Adelaide Ave, through Phillip, Tugg lake and back home.
I was really working at my limits, my legs were hurting all the way, but there was no way I was going to give in. I had to sit at the back of the pack and try to hang on and I only just managed to do that.
I had a great time, and can honestly say I have never worked so hard on a bike. I averaged 77% of max H/R for 3.5 hours it is no wonder my legs were lactic. Thanks Jase for the ride, I really was in a world of hurt, and it was one of the best training sessions I have done.
This will be 1 session that I might have to try to fit into my program.

No comments:

Post a Comment